In 1933, Dr. George Albert Carmichael graduated from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. Two years later he returned to his hometown of Canton, Mississippi and practiced medicine in this community for more than 50 years.
His lifetime of service embodied his committment to providing healthcare to all members of the community. Those who could not afford to pay were not turned away and of course the doctor made house calls to those who where unable to come to his offices.
Initially funded as the Madison-Yazoo-Leake Family Health Center in 1972, the name was officially changed to the G. A. Carmichael Family Health Center in January 1996. His vision to provide healthcare with "100% access and 0% disparity" is our mission today.